Hegseth gives chilling reply amid report of 'kill them all' order during first Caribbean boat strike: 'Just begun to…'
A Washington Post report stated that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had given a verbal directive to ‘kill everybody’ during the first Caribbean boat strike.
Secretary of War Pete Hegseth issued a chilling one-liner after a Washington Post report claimed he'd given a directive for everyone to be killed during the first Caribbean boat strike.
Hegseth, on X, said “We have only just begun to kill narco-terrorists.”
He also slammed the Washington Post report from his official handle. “As usual, the fake news is delivering more fabricated, inflammatory, and derogatory reporting to discredit our incredible warriors fighting to protect the homeland,” Hegseth began.
“As we’ve said from the beginning, and in every statement, these highly effective strikes are specifically intended to be “lethal, kinetic strikes.” The declared intent is to stop lethal drugs, destroy narco-boats, and kill the narco-terrorists who are poisoning the American people. Every trafficker we kill is affiliated with a Designated Terrorist Organization,” he added.
“The Biden administration preferred the kid gloves approach, allowing millions of people — including dangerous cartels and unvetted Afghans — to flood our communities with drugs and violence. The Trump administration has sealed the border and gone on offense against narco-terrorists. Biden coddled terrorists, we kill them,” Hegseth continued.
The Secretary of War further said, “Our current operations in the Caribbean are lawful under both U.S. and international law, with all actions in compliance with the law of armed conflict—and approved by the best military and civilian lawyers, up and down the chain of command. Our warriors in SOUTHCOM put their lives on the line every day to protect the Homeland from narco-terrorists — and I will ALWAYS have their back.”
As per the report, Hegseth gave the verbal order to ‘kill everybody’, people in the know said. The attack had taken place on September 2 and marked the start of President Donald Trump's war against suspected drug traffickers.
Also Read | ‘Trump uses autopen…’: New claims after Biden threatened with perjury over executive orders
The report further made mention that the Special Operations commander who was overseeing the attack then ordered a second strike on the boat, carrying 11, to comply with Hegseth's order. Two people were blown apart in the water as a result.
Since then, the US has struck multiple other boats, and the impact of these actions could be seen in Venezuela.
Impact of US strikes on boats
After the bombings, local authorities have stepped up surveillance in Venezuela's remote northeastern state of Sucre, as per Reuters. Thus far, over 80 people have been killed as President Donald Trump has declared a war on drugs, the agency further noted. The Trump administration has said that these strikes have damaged the operation of drug cartels, including groups that it said are led by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. For his part, Maduro has denied these allegations.
Now, the Trump administration is also reportedly planning a new phase of Venezuela-related operations. Reuters reported two US officials say covert operations would likely be part of the new action against Maduro. Two officials also told the news agency that options under consideration include overthrowing the Venezuelan leader.
The US already has an aircraft carrier strike group, besides Navy warships and a stealth aircraft to the region. While they maintain that curbing trafficking is the goal, there have been worries in Caracas that a regime change might on the cards.
(With Reuters inputs)